Friday, July 6, 2012

Infographic Resumes

I've just been introduced to the amazing world of infographic resumes.  I'm so impressed that people decided their resume needed a little spice, and decided to personalize and visualize them.  An infographic resume is a picture containing the thousand words that is your work history.  Of course, there are often additional words to explain the pie chart, but I'm not counting those.

From what I've seen, most of the infographic resumes are done by graphic artists.  They have the artists eye to create something visual and enticing, and the skill to make it happen.  Oh, I've seen a few from engineers or computer programmers, but the skills required definitely hide themselves well in non-artist professions.

I've thought about creating my own.  There are a ton of different graph types that would make short work of my entire work history.  But I'd want it to be representative of me, as well.  So... it would need something like a labyrinth with a single path picked out.  Or maybe a juggling club.  Or my own personal logo, which I've been working on.

These resumes are great for those who want to show off their personality and have jobs that could encourage that.  One purpose of a resume is to get an initial interview, and an infographic resume would succeed splendidly, if I was the HR manager.  Just don't overdo it, or expect that a visual resume with pictures of fluffy bunnies skipping in the meadow will get you a job as an exterminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment