Friday, June 29, 2012

Choosing a business opportunity

Having just finished my graduate degree in Business, this one is particularly close to my heart.  I am now in a position I've never had before - people are coming to me with their ideas and asking me to be a part of them.    It's exciting - because I get jazzed by other people's passions - and scary - because I'd be responsible for the fulfillment or derailment of another person's dreams.  If I want to be involved, I need to pick something and go with it.  So how do you choose one opportunity over another?

Questions to ask yourself


What you really need to succeed is the right attitude.  To do that, you need to find a path that matches you as a person.  Some introspection is required (in my case about 5 years), but these questions are well worth it.  

  • Where do I want to be in 5 years?  10?  20?  
  • What kind of work setting do I like?  Structured?  Unbound?  Secure?  Shifting?
  • What is most important to me in life?  
  • Is there anything I won't do?  Too dangerous?  Too disgusting?  Against my personal code?  
  • What am I good at?  
  • What do my family and friends think about my choices so far?  

Those questions above are certainly not comprehensive about planning your direction in life, but they are a great start.  Now that you have that all sorted out, you can start planning your future. 

What opportunities are available to me?  


This is really a function of your network of friends and family.  It is difficult to find a new job or other opportunity without the aid of your network.  In fact, many schools, including mine, tout the quality and reach of their network as part of the admissions process.  It is much easier to talk to people you already know than find work in a completely new geography.  

Which involve people I can work with?  


The people are super important.  Without a great team, an enterprise can't succeed.  Unfortunately, they can also kill the enterprise, if they are in the wrong positions.  Be sure (or at least pretty sure) that your partners are competent or able to learn, and good people.  You're going to be working with them for quite a long time, if things go well.  

Where can I make money?  


For me, this is one of the least important.  Yes, there are certain things you can do that won't make money.  But those are few and far between.  I know lots of people do things that I would have guessed wouldn't make poodle spit, but they have turned it into a career.  Don't be afraid to follow your dreams, because building custom cat towers can certainly be a full time job, if you do it right.  

Just do it!


Thank you, Corporate America, for reducing that awesome phrase to a tag line for shoes.  :(  But after you are pretty sure you have the right path, go for it!  Take the time to develop your contacts, try your hand at something new, and get involved.  It is crazy how easy it is to start something, if you know where you want to go in the future.  Or even if you don't know where to go, you can start something and see what it feels like.  

Best of luck in the future!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment