Monday, January 30, 2012

Dr. Seuss Sums up my philosophy on people

Today, I'd like to talk about someone very important to me - Dr. Seuss.  His books guided me when I was young, both in fueling my imagination and in guiding me in my life.  The Places You'll Go was a gift to me when I graduated from high school, and its message has stayed with me ever since.  


Now, I'd like to talk about a different quote, specifically: 




‎"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss



I've been living this way in my social life for a while now.  The latest time I've come across this is actually with a winter hat shaped like a baby seal.  It's cute and most people think its awesome.  And I wear it when I'm not at work, so it doesn't affect me professionally.  But one person actually suggested it was a little too crazy, and I politely told her that it was my choice and I liked wearing it.  I bet a couple years ago I would have been much less likely to deal with it that maturely.  


It took me several years to figure out who mattered and who didn't.  And I'm still struggling with the idea that those who matter don't mind.  The problem is that, in my job, I often face political concerns that forcibly bring "the people who don't matter" into my life.  I've read many business books that suggest that if you have a strong will and the right direction, those people will melt away, but that just isn't the case, especially for my age.  



No comments:

Post a Comment