Monday, January 16, 2012

My Hedgehog

I was reading the book Good to Great by Jim Collins, and I realized that most of the concepts in the book can be applied to your personal life. I especially like the Hedgehog Concept - taking a mission stance within a convergence of three circles on a Venn diagram of a) what you're passionate about b) what you can be the best in the world at and c) what you can make money doing.

That is actually what led me to writing this blog. I'll break down my personal hedgehog concept right now!

In a cubicle for years, so you see,
My job has been lacking in creativity.
Passion and drive from the new and the bold,
But not to forget the stodgy and old.

Learning about the whole wide world around,
media coverage of awesomeness abounds,
Without a tie to hold it all together,
I love new topics during inclement weather.

Best in the world is a daunting goal,
for a guy who doesn't get on long term rolls.
Most math and business comes naturally,
with communication practiced unceasingly.

Working on teams and personal relations,
tends to spark my imagination.
Collaboration on innovation,
Buzzwords? No! It's my inspiration!

Funny thing about a personal passion,
Quality comes without out the boss bashin'.
With work parameters, I must confess ,
Seeking a job for it doesn't cause me stress.

You know, and I know, the economy's bleak,
But for me, the future is golden streak.
Education, hobbies, friends, and past,
Are providing a great supporting cast.

Peace! I'm Out!

Addendum: The more I re-read this, the more pleased I am with it.  This is my first ever attempt at poetry (of any sort) and I think it turned out better than I could have hoped for.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment