Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Business Opportunities

Happy Fragrance Day!  I certainly hope you get to enjoy all the people out there who smell nice.

Everyone wants to get in on the ground floor of a new business.  They want to be a part of the realization of the next great idea, and make a pretty penny along the way.  The main problem is how to do that!  There are a lot of web sites that outline ideation, and I really like reading about them.  But when you're a skilled professional that wants to find a growing opportunity, how do you do that?
 
Be excited. As I've begun my personal path toward the front end of the innovation curve, I've noticed that the more excited you are about an idea, the more people are drawn to you.  The more people who are around, the more input you have for your own ideas.  And a bonus is that people will help you refine your idea, not to mention execute effectively. 

Talk to everyone about new ideas.  I'm not advocating that you share all your ideas with everyone.  But if you begin talking to people about new ideas - especially those that you know you will never implement, you become a valuable resource for vetting ideas.  You basically get in on the ground floor of other people's great ideas. 




Share your ideas with everyone.  Ok, now I'm advocating that you share your ideas.  Sharing is the source of many innovations that have occurred in the past.  Many will tell you this is a terrible idea because it lets all your secrets out.  The rewards are not to have the best idea, though.  Those come from great execution.  You just have to be aware that there is competition out there and not be afraid of it. 

I have found these based on a my experience with social media, and applying the ideas I found there.  They are not new, but they do really focus on the value of relationships.  I can't wait until I get to explore new ideas with my grad school teams post-graduation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment