Monday, February 13, 2012

SCAMPER and Ideation

The process of ideation can be difficult for some people, me included.  But when coming up with ideas, there are many processes that can help out.  One that's both easy to remember and very useful is SCAMPER.  It is an acronym that stands for:
  • Substitute
  • Combine
  • Adapt
  • Modify
  • Put to another use
  • Eliminate
  • Reverse
The plan is you should take each of the acronyms and apply them to whatever you are trying to change.  As an example, for "Eliminate", companies cut the number of cords for external hard drives from 2 to 1 by using the power from a USB connector to power the storage device.

When I read about SCAMPER, it strikes me that it works better with products than a service.  All the examples I've found of applying SCAMPER have been for vaccuum cleaners, cups, electronics, and a host of other products.  That said, I'm sure it can be adapted for use with services, as they all have intangible parts to them that can be changed through the use of these methods.  I can't wait to give SCAMPER a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment